Conversations on Civic Innovation: Impact of New Media on Civic Initiatives
Social Media and new approaches to journalism have had broad impact on how civic initiatives are organized and executed. Community and political movements have new tools to attract interested parties and launch campaigns. The last Federal election cycle is just one of several examples where various parties worked with and around the traditional journalism channels to get their message out using these new media options. These approaches certainly impact how governments connect with their constituencies, nonprofits engage with their communities, neighborhood movements organize, and civic / political leaders communicate.
This conversation will review the fast changing world of journalism and social media and how it impacts civic initiatives.
- Moderator – Asma Khalid, Political Reporter at WBUR
- Eric Gordon – Associate Professor in the Department of Visual and Media Arts at Emerson College
- Robert McClure – Co-founder and Executive Director at InvestigateWest
- Additional speakers TBD
- 5:30-6:00 PM – Registration and networking
- 6:00-7:00 PM – Panel Discussion
- 7:00-7:30 PM – Q&A
- 7:30-8:30 PM – Post event networking
The Conversations on Civic Innovation is a regular series, co-convened by the Venture Café Foundation and the Microsoft Innovation and Policy Center New England.
Join us in the conversation on Twitter using @MSNewEngland @VentureCafe and #CivicTechBos.