L.L.Bean: Kayaking Discovery Course
Exploring nature in a kayak is a healthy and fun way to enjoy the outdoors. The course begins with a brief introduction and safety talk from our friendly paddling instructors, who will share their knowledge gained from years of kayaking. They’ll outfit you with a personal flotation device (PFD), kayak and paddling equipment, giving you insight on the best ways to set up your boat. Then, you’ll receive instruction on a variety of paddling techniques. This is a great course for all levels of fitness.
After you feel comfortable on the water, you’ll set out in a kayak on a guided, interpretive tour with your group. You’ll experience the freedom of skimming across the water, learning about the ecosystem and history of the area.
Kayaking courses occur Fridays through Sundays from 10:00am-11:30am and 12:30pm-2:00pm. All necessary paddling equipment is provided.
What to Bring
Print Checklist (PDF)
– Weather- and activity-appropriate clothing (preferably synthetic*)
– Water shoes or shoes you don’t mind getting wet (closed-toe recommended)
– Personal prescriptions such as EpiPen or inhaler
– One quart of water (no glass bottles)
– Dry clothes for after activity
– Waterproof camera
What L.L.Bean Provides
– Insect repellent
– Use of all necessary paddling equipment: boats, paddles, PFD’s, etc